previous

Scotland Yard

      ‘The Black Museum’ was first housed within this first and former headquarters of the Metropolitan Police situated on the Embankment. Very few people have ever been allowed to visit and that is for a very good reason...

       Sliding slowly and silently past a wall of exhibits. A terrible wall. A wall covered from top to bottom with strung ropes and hangman’s nooses, each one a nemesis, a farewell forever, ending the life, dangling, twisting and choking, of some of Britain’s most notorious and well known criminals.

      > The spectre of the headless nun continues drifting, past a framed letter from Jack the Ripper written in exquisite copperplate handwriting. Past the incongruous mundane gas stove on top of which is a very large and sinister aluminium cooking pot. Past the Kray twins’ crossbow mounted on the wall near the glass cabinet containing the Bulgarian assassins’ umbrella gun and poison pellet just opposite the case containing the sad split and battered helmet that once belonged to a young Horseguards Trooper.

       When the building was being constructed in the 1880’s and before the granite that faces the front of this building that had been quarried by the convicts of Dartmoor Prison was installed in place, the savagely mutilated remains and effects of an unidentified headless woman, possibly a nun, were found.

       Her ghost immediately haunted the Black Museum once it had opened perhaps drawn there by the unmistakable miasma of spiritual evil attached to this massive, ever-growing collection of grisly murder memorabilia. When the museum moved to New Scotland Yard off Victoria Street, she moved with it but has been known to make a return appearance at the scene of her most savage and violent murder. Ever searching - never finding.



Prints - please email for details

Scotland Yard
Photograph © Anthony Bliss 2006